Welcome to my blog!

Assalamo aleikom

I hope you will find my blog inspiring, useful and that you might learn something new from it. Comments are highly appreciated, and I always want to hear what I can make better and improve! If there is anything particular you want me to write about, just let me know. My hope is to contribute with something positive inshaAllah. Maybe some people think I'm too young to have a say in some of the things I will discuss, but we are all learners and nobody is perfect, and everyone sometimes has a need to express their opinions and views. If you are not interested, then you are free to leave, but if you want to hear my say, I appreciate that! I don't write an advanced research on all topics, I just write normal posts to discuss and point out my view, to have time to focus in different relevant topics. So that is the reason if you sometimes think my posts contain too little information, and that there is much more to it than what I'm saying. I just want to share my knowledge. All my knowledge I've gained thanks to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and I will learn a lot more in the future inshaAllah. My posts are all a praise to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and my mistakes are only my own. I wish my blog will benefit others inshaAllah!

Jazakallahu khairan!

Monday 3 January 2011

Hijab Dignifies You

Today I want to write about hijab. The hijab is an important part of many girls' life, and many people don't understand the meaning of this piece of cloth. I'm fully aware that the word hijab can be used as the name of the dress code in Islam i.e. loose clothes, covering all the body except the hands and the face for women, and covering (at least) the area between the navel and the knees for men, though covering more is preferable.

However, the way I use the term hijab here, is only in the meaning of the veil, the cover of the hair, as this is the most disputed issue. Some people say that the hijab is only political, others says that the hijab is solely from tradition, whereas others again mean it is related to religion.

In the Quran kareem it says about women's clothing:
"And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their khimar over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to ..." - Quran 24:31


The majority of Muslims believes the word "khimar" was earlier used to refer to a piece of cloth that covers the head, which today is called "hijab." Though the khimar is an extended version that covers the breasts as well. There are many hadiths that mention how the wives of the Prophet (SAW) covered themselves, and some people mean that their veils were only for them, because they are the "Mothers of the Believers." Whilst others again believe we should follow their example.

My post today wasn't going to be an article discussing whether hijab is obligatory or not, and whether it's religious or political. I might take that discussion later. My post will be about me and my relationship to this piece of cloth. Yea, my story.

In the beginning, after my conversion, I didn't think much about hijab, and I didn't read much about it. I knew a lot of women covered their head, but I didn't go in depth in this topic. Eventually I talked about this a little with my boyfriend and I became more curious. However, in the beginning I was not very found of this hijab, and I couldn't see myself wearing it.


The year after I made an interview with VG (the biggest newspaper in Norway) about this topic, as a debate was going on in Norway whether this cloth should be banished from elementary schools or not. The interview, however, was mainly about my conversion and my general view on hijab, and why I didn't wear it. My boyfriend occasionally tried to explain to me the importance of it, but I was not interested. He never tried to push me or force me, though! He always said that it's my decision and if I one day decide to wear it, it must be fully my choice and I must feel inside myself that it's the right.

When I went to Egypt my opinion changed. I saw peop
le wearing hijab everywhere, and in the street a lot of people stared at me and said comments to me when I was walking with my friend. In the beginning I didn't care, I just ignored it. But eventually I became bored from it, and my boyfriend too. It's not good to draw attention like that, and people also saw I'm foreign. In Norway the people in the street don't care about you at all, but in Egypt it's different.

By time I learnt more about hijab, and I read a lot of pages why I should wear it and the benefits with hijab. I started to like it more, and I was thinking of wearing it. When my boyfriend's family was going to pray salat el-eid, I went with them, and this was the first time I tried hijab outside, just because I needed it in the mosque, and I felt good with it. I continued t
o read about it a lot, and one day my boyfriend asked me if I was ever thinking about wearing hijab. I said to him yes, I want, but not tomorrow.

However, the day after I was going out and he said to me, if you want to wear it, there is not reason to delay it further. He was right. But what I was worried about was what I would do when I was going back to Norway, as my family would not be happy for this step I made. Anyway, we decided that in Egypt I will wear it.

I felt comfortable with it. I felt good, and nobody saw that I was foreign. Many thought I was Egyptian, and people stopped staring too much when I was in the street. I felt I had made the right decision, and my boyfriend's family encouraged me. I felt the hijab had become a part of me and my identity.

The bad thing happened the day I was going home to Norway. I went without the hijab to the airport, because I didn't wear it in my passport picture, so we thought maybe they will not accept the ID and won't give me the flight tickets, because I don't look like the picture. But after I took the tickets, I went to the bathroom and I put it on again. I felt naked without it. I didn't care if they said anything when I was going to border the plane or when I landed in Istanbul, Turkey (my transfer was there.) And I also had to stay one night at a hotel in Istanbul, because my plane was delayed.

After I arrived to the hotel I slept 2 hours, as I hadn't slept from two days. When I went outside I put the hijab on again, and nobody saw I was foreign, so nobody talked to me in the street. I know from my friend that Turks like to interact with foreigners.


The day after, when I was going to take the plane to Oslo, Norway, I went to the airport with the hijab, not afraid of being stopped because of the photo. I think actually I was the only one in the plane who wore the hijab, but I just felt special and good inside. Not least proud. When I landed in Oslo, I went to the bathroom to remove my hijab before I was going to meet my dad. It was very hard for me to do that, and I felt sadness and emptiness inside. I felt naked again, but that was all I could do at this time. I didn't want to make more problems with my family, like I made when I told them I had converted. With time I will tell them about hijab, but I don't know how I will make them understand. My tears come when I write this, because I miss to wear it. When I return to Egypt, inshaAllah, I will wear it again and I will not take it off.


5 comments:

  1. Assalamu aleikum søster, først vil jeg takk for tilbakemeldingen på mitt innlegg, jeg satte stor pris på det, selv om jeg ikke hr svart deg enda. Jeg har begrenset datatid nå til blogg og slike ting disse dager, men lover åsvare deg såsnart jeg kan:)
    Jeg ser alle sidene ved historien din :) Jeg har følt de fleste av disse følelsene, selv om jeg nok ikke var like vâr ovenfor familiens reaksjoner som du er... Jeg ville bare gi deg en klem, takke deg, og si jeg kommer tilbake til deg inshaallah :)
    Jeg har lagt deg til som en av mine favoritthårballer ;) klem og wassalaam :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Assalamo alaykoum ssøster først må jeg si så hyggelig med den kommentaren og jazAllah kheyr så fin og inspirerende blogg du har, det er alltid spennende å lese en muslims hverdag og synspunkter på ting, skulle ønske det var en måte å legge deg til som venn slik at jeg kunne følge med på bloggen din men er ikke så teknisk begavet...:S hehe Håper å få fulgt med på bloggen din inshAllah.
    Du får ha en fin kveld videre inshAllah wa alaykoum asalam

    ReplyDelete
  3. mariam this is the best thing i have seen and u r vclever and i hope alot of peploesee tah and know the real mean of islam and know we love eash other and hate killer and terrorism and i hope u till like that

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous: jazakallahu khairan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing this article about Hijab…..this article actually intended for many Muslims girls who do not wear Hijab….. Every Muslim Women must wear hijab…. Allah says in the Quran: O Prophet! Say to your wives and your daughters and the women of the faithful to draw their outergarments (jilbabs) close around themselves; that is better that they will be recognized and not annoyed. And God is ever Forgiving, Gentle.

    ReplyDelete