Welcome to my blog!

Assalamo aleikom

I hope you will find my blog inspiring, useful and that you might learn something new from it. Comments are highly appreciated, and I always want to hear what I can make better and improve! If there is anything particular you want me to write about, just let me know. My hope is to contribute with something positive inshaAllah. Maybe some people think I'm too young to have a say in some of the things I will discuss, but we are all learners and nobody is perfect, and everyone sometimes has a need to express their opinions and views. If you are not interested, then you are free to leave, but if you want to hear my say, I appreciate that! I don't write an advanced research on all topics, I just write normal posts to discuss and point out my view, to have time to focus in different relevant topics. So that is the reason if you sometimes think my posts contain too little information, and that there is much more to it than what I'm saying. I just want to share my knowledge. All my knowledge I've gained thanks to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and I will learn a lot more in the future inshaAllah. My posts are all a praise to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and my mistakes are only my own. I wish my blog will benefit others inshaAllah!

Jazakallahu khairan!

Thursday 6 January 2011

Sunni, Shia, Sufi ... Or Simply Just Muslim?

One day I met a girl I hadn't seen from a long time. I told her that I had embraced Islam. She was surprised but happy, and asked me; "Are you Sunni or Shia or something else?" I answered: "I'm Muslim." She said: "Okay, but you are not of those who like to hurt themselves and cause themselves pain because they think that is part of their religion?" I replied: "No. It's haraam to harm oneself." She said: "Yes, then you are Sunni." I only looked at her and said: "I'm Muslim. Don't make us sects or groups. We need to stand united."

I don't like people who try to divide us Muslims into different groups, making us think we don't have the same religion or same perspective of life. We see that for example in Christianity. This religion is divided into a lot of groups: Roman Catholic, Greek Orthodox, Coptic, Protestant etc. and even within these different thinkings, you have smaller groups or sects such as the Amish, Jehova's Witnesses, Brunstad Christian Church etc. Do we want to make ourselves as the Kuffar (disbelievers)?

Nobody can come and say that some of the Prophets were Shia and others were Sunni or Wahhabi or something else. They were all Muslim. Allah (Subhana wa ta'ala) says in the Quran:

"The same religion has He established for you as that which He enjoined on Nuh - the which We have sent by inspiration to thee (Muhammed) - and that which We enjoined on Ibrahim and Musa and 'Isa: Namely, that ye should remain steadfast in religion, and make no divisions therein: to those who worship other things than Allah, hard is the (way) to which thou callest them. Allah chooses to Himself those whom He pleases, and guides to Himself those who turn (to Him.)" - Quran 42:13

Allah (Subhana wa ta'ala) says in the Quran; do not divide yourself, do not make yourself into sects. Stand united, Islam is one religion. One way. One deen (way of life.) Allah (Subhana wa ta'ala) knew that humans would go astray and make divisions and warned us about this matter. He said in the Quran:

"As for those who divide their religion and break up into sects, thou hast no part in them in the least: their affair is with Allah: He will in the end tell them the truth of all that they did." - Quran 6:159

A lot of misfortune has occurred because people who have divided themselves, and they think themselves superior. They say: We are Shia, and we are on the right path. Whilst others state: We are Sunni, we are on the right path. Whilst others again say: We are Wahhabi: We are on the right path. The Quran clearly states: DO NOT DIVIDE YOURSELF. This will cause a lot of people to end in the wrong path, become confused and not practice their religion properly. We should follow the Quran and Sunnah of the Prophet.

The Prophet (sallalahu 'aleyhe wa sallam) said: "Muslims will divide into 73 groups. All will be in Hell, except one. The one me and my companions are on today."

He also said: "I asked Allah that my nation (the Muslims) would not be destroyed by being out numbered. And Allah granted that prayer. I asked Allah that my nation (the Muslims) would not be destroyed from poverty. And Allah granted that prayer. I asked Allah that my nation (the Muslims) would not be destroyed by being divided and fighting amongst themselves. Allah did not grant that prayer."

This tells us that we must follow the Quran, and ignore these divisions. We must search the Truth and follow the Prophet's way. We do not need to fight or dispute about this matter. Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) stated in the Quran:

"... This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion ..." - Quran 5:3

He also said: "It is He (Allah) who has named you Muslims." - Quran 22:78

Nowhere in the Quran do we find the names Sunni, Shia, Shiite, Sufis etc. We only find warnings to not divide ourselves. If we do divide ourselves, we are disobeying Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and the Prophet (sallalahu 'alayhe wa sallam).

Call yourself Muslim and follow Quran and Sunnah, this will please Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and eventually lead you to Jannah inshaAllah!

(This post is not talking about madhhab, the Schools of Law: Maliki, Hanbali, Hanafi and Shafi'i.)

Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) knows best.


Ps: If anyone wonder why I don't use abbreviations after Allah and Muhammed any more, but do write it in full, it is because when you abbreviate the salams and salaahs they are not valid. You can read more about this here.

No comments:

Post a Comment