Welcome to my blog!

Assalamo aleikom

I hope you will find my blog inspiring, useful and that you might learn something new from it. Comments are highly appreciated, and I always want to hear what I can make better and improve! If there is anything particular you want me to write about, just let me know. My hope is to contribute with something positive inshaAllah. Maybe some people think I'm too young to have a say in some of the things I will discuss, but we are all learners and nobody is perfect, and everyone sometimes has a need to express their opinions and views. If you are not interested, then you are free to leave, but if you want to hear my say, I appreciate that! I don't write an advanced research on all topics, I just write normal posts to discuss and point out my view, to have time to focus in different relevant topics. So that is the reason if you sometimes think my posts contain too little information, and that there is much more to it than what I'm saying. I just want to share my knowledge. All my knowledge I've gained thanks to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and I will learn a lot more in the future inshaAllah. My posts are all a praise to Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and my mistakes are only my own. I wish my blog will benefit others inshaAllah!

Jazakallahu khairan!

Wednesday 12 January 2011

The View of Music in Islam

Before, music was a big part of my life. I listened to music in all different genres and all different languages. All the day I listened to music, sometimes up to 18 hours. I listened to music when I walked to school, was in school, when I sat in the computer, when I was studying, when I relaxed, when I made food, all the time except when I was sleeping.

Eventually I read about this topic in Islam, as I always investigate topics that come to my mind. I think it's interesting to see what Islam has to say about "normal" things, and whether it is haram or halal. After I had read through a lot of different pages about this matter, I realised that music is haram, and I intended to try to change this bad habit. All habits can be changed if you really want to. A friend of mine helped me out and I started to delete songs, not everything at once, but the majority of the songs I had, and I also searched for nasheeds (religious songs) to replace the others. This was really a difficult challenge for me, but by time I reached my goal and deleted all songs, and now I do not listen to songs any more alhamdullilah. May Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) help everyone else who wants to break this curse.

Why is music haram?

From the Quran kareem we find the verse: "And of mankind is he who purchases idle talk to mislead (men) from the Path of Allah withouth knowledge, and takes it by way of mockery. For such there will be a humiliating torment (in the Hell-Fire)" - Quran 31:6

Idle talk, means music and singing. The majority of songs are either only music, have bad contents or they have no meaning at all. All of this is haram. Only singing, with pure words, can under certain circumstances be halal. Companions of the Prophet (sallalahu 'alayhe wa sallam), Abdullah bin Abbas and Hazrath Jaabir (radi allahu anhum), were with him when this ayat (verse) of the Quran was revealed, and they stated that this ayat is about singing and musical instruments.

Prophet Muhammed (sallalahu 'alayhe wa sallam) is reported to have said: "There will certainly be people from my Ummah who will attempt to legalise fornication, the wearing of silk (for men), the consuming of wine and the use of musical instruments" [Al-Bukhari volume 7, book 69, nr. 494]

This hadith clearly states that musical instruments are prohibited. Some people ask, why do we have ears if we are not allowed to listen to music? Well, the ears can be used for other things as well. We can use our ears but with limitations. We can hear birds sing, hear sounds from cars and doors in the street, listen to poems (without bad contents) etc. but no music. It's the same with our eyes. Not everything we are allowed to look at, such as a boy shouldn't stare at a girl and vice versa. Another example is sexual relations, which is completely forbidden before marriage, but after marriage you are free to be with your spouse the way you like. Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) didn't make everything forbidden or everything lawful, that would either be too hard or to easy for us humans to deal with.

Another hadith says that: "Once Rasulallah (sallalahu 'alayhe wa sallam) heard the sound of the flute of a shepherd, he immediately placed his fingers into his ears (to block out the sound.)" [Musnad Ahmad, reported by Hazrath Abdullah bin Umar]

In another narration he is reported to have said: "Verily Allah ta'ala has sent me as a guidance and as a mercy to the Believers, and He has commanded me to destroy musical instruments." [Musnad Ahmad]

It's reported that Prophet Muhammed (sallalahu 'alayhe wa sallam) said: ""A group of this nation will be transformed into monkeys and swine." They said: "Do they testify that there is no god except Allah and that Muhammed is His Messenger?" He said: "Yes. And also do they fast and pray and perform Hajj." They said: "Then, what is their problem?" He said: "They use musical instruments, drums and female singers. (One day) they will go to sleep after a night of drinking and having fun. In the morning, they will be transformed (by Allah) into monkeys and swine."" [Iughathat Al-Lahfan]

All of these, are evidences for the harmful effects of music and that it's better to avoid it.
Other reasons for the prohibition of music, is that music takes up time, and it can make you forget or delay your religious obligations (i.e. salah). Music also affects your feelings, normally in a bad way, and a lot of songs contains bad contents that makes people think about alcohol, drugs, sex, discos etc. which is very disturbing. Remember that on the Day of Resurrection you will also be judged by your thoughts and questioned about them, try to keep your thoughts as pure as possible.

Music is the Book of Shaitan. It makes us forget Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) and it gives us impure thoughts and emotions. We also stop finding the recitation of the Quran beautiful, and a person might consider it boring and think that music is better, to party and dance. I've been through all of this myself, as I was "addicted" to music, and when I listened to music a lot of bad thoughts came to me, and I felt that I didn't care about anything. I just wanted to enjoy. This is only the work of Iblis, and I personally felt it how Shaitan affected me, and eventually I felt ashamed by it. You can't imagine how happy I was when I finally had been able to quit listening to music, and now it only annoys me if I hear someone playing a song. I just want to close it. If I sit in e.g. a taxi that plays music, I just try to focus in dhikr (remembrance of Allah) and repeat "Subhanallah, alhamdullilah, allahu akbar and la ilaha ila allah" to forget the music.

Give up music, the sooner the better. The fight can be hard, but if you are determined and really want to give it up, it's possible to do it. If I could do it, anyone can do it!

Allah (subhana wa ta'ala) knows best.



Picture: Google

No comments:

Post a Comment